Translate This Page

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Your "Daily" Dose



In my recent post, I suggested that categorical labels like “Hispanic” or “Latino” homogenize the cultural heritages of people with ancestral roots in Latin America.  It is an idea I have written about before, most notably here and here

No sooner had I published my post on Monday evening, when I was treated to this wonderful piece on “The Daily Show” in which Al Madrigal interviews people from different Latino backgrounds about the heterogeneity among Latino populations.  (Who knew Chileans love mayonnaise so much?!?)

I have to admit my envy over how the visual image can accomplish better what the written word at times struggles to do, but I am happy with how this piece demonstrates what I have been saying for years.






No comments:

Post a Comment